Coconut Beef Curry, Serves 2 as a main
(page 86 Better Homes and Gardens Australia Diabetic Living Magazine May/June 2011)
Preparation Time 15 mins, Cooking Time 40 mins.
1 tspn olive oil
250g beef oyster blade steak, trimmed of fat, chopped
1 tspn Garam Marsala
1/2 tspn ground turmeric
Pinch of ground chillies
125ml (1/2 cup) Trident Light Coconut Milk
145g (1/2 cup) canned no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
200g cauliflower, chopped
100g green beans, trimmed diagonally sliced
100g yellow squash, quartered (personally I am not a bit fan of the squash and like more cauliflower)
100g (1/2 cup) basmati rice
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan on medium-high. Add the beef. Cook for 2-3 minutes, tossing often, until browned. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the garam marsala, turmeric and chillies. Cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
2. Add coconut milk and tomato to the pan. Bring to a simmer. Cook partially covered, for 25 minutes or until meat is tender.
3. Add cauliflower, beans and squash to the pan. Cook, partially covered for 5-10 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
4. Meanwhile, cook the rice following packet directions. Drain well.
5. Serve the curry with rice.
per serve: 1992kJ, protein: 25.7g, total fat: 13.7g (sat fat 7.7g), cholesterol: 71.3mg, carbs: 48.3g, fibre: 6.2g, sodium: 120.7mg. Carb exchanges: 3 1/2. GI Estimate: medium. Gluten free